Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Choose your own adventure, part 1

I was scheduled to go home from Barcelona on Saturday... but I didn't. Instead at 1am that morning I changed my plans, against my better judgment, all for a symphony concert inside Barcelona's Opera house (which was beautiful). If only I hadn't stayed- then I wouldn't be walking with a limp nearly 3 and a half weeks after the fact. But, now I'm getting ahead of myself.

If I hadn't mentioned before, I absolutely loved Barcelona. And as Friday came to a close, I didn't want my vacation to end. Also, the thought of having to be at the airport by 6am wasn't very attractive either. So I had an internal conflict which went a little something like this:

voice A: I really want to stay
voice B: But what about my commitments on Sunday such as teaching two lessons and translating for the Brazilian family who goes to church?... no one else speaks Portuguese.
voice A: I really, really don't want to leave around 4:45am to get to the airport
voice B: But I told my upstairs neighbors that I'd stop by for their birthday get together. And AGAIN, I have a major commitment with the Brazilian family... they won't understand a word without me.
voice A: Man! The guys are going to a great concert, and if I don't go I'll be completely jealous. Plus, to spend almost 2 extra days here would be so nice, even if I have to buy a new return flight.
voice C: You'd better not stay Claire... I've been trying to tell you for the past 5 minutes and this is the first time you're actually listening to me...
voice A: (cutting off voice C) Yeah, but I REALLY want to stay.

I'd like to say I don't have multiple personality disorder, but after what I just wrote I'm sure you wouldn't believe me no matter how much I plead my case. Needless to say, the two voices of reason lost out... and my stubborn attitude caused me to press the purchase button on the airline's website for a flight that left Sunday evening.

That Saturday morning started out just like the rest of them... quite relaxed. We decided to rent motor-scooters again for a few hours in order to drive up to a little village which has old castle ruins. Everything was great until one fateful moment when I hear Jed saying "no, no, no!" and noticed we were tipping over.
As we were tipping I thought, "the bike's going to fall on my foot", and Jed went on uttering "no, no, no!"
When the bike happened to land on my foot, I thought "yep, there goes my foot", while Jed still exclaimed "no, oh no!"
Then, when I looked back and saw a car coming behind us, the only thing I thought was "we need to get this bike off my foot!" We both proceeded to do so, with Jed saying "oh, no, no" all the while.

to be continued...

1 comment:

Chad & Bonny Day said...

oh my gosh!! Don't leave me in suspension like that! I want to know what happened!!