Friday, May 7, 2010

It's about "time"

I don't know about you, but when I go on vacation I like seeing things I haven't seen before.

So what happens when, through a series of events, you go to the same place twice?  Like, London for example?  Well, I'll tell you what I did.  I thanked my lucky stars that the city is so big, that's what.  Because even with a few days worth of vacation at the beginning of the year, my checklist of the city wasn't complete. And even better, during the one day we were there together, Britt wanted to see something I hadn't yet! 

Although I had seen and done so much in January, we were limited in what time allotted us to see. Which is why I found it fitting to go to the place that actually put a limit on my exploring the entire city previously.  This visit we straddled the line of that ever present, all encompassing, fundamental structure of the universe: Time.  Yes, we went to Greenwich.


We hit up the famous street market, where we ate Moroccan food in memorial of our perished trip.  We went to the Maritime museum where we learned about navigation and exploration.  We were even able to commandeer our own naval ship (thanks to a virtual simulator), but what was most important (simulation or not), is that we didn't crash!  We stepped inside the Greenwich Royal Observatory and were able to learn about the skies, along with touching a rock that was over 4.5 billion - yeah, you read that right - 4.5 billion years old.

But most importantly, we saw the line... the line that divides the time, aka. the Prime Meridian.  And we straddled it. One side of us was in the past, while the other was in the future. Now, how many people can say that??

(Probably a lot, actually.  But don't be a killjoy.)

No comments: