Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Oh say, what is truth?

Indulge me for a moment while I express my gratitude.  For, I have many things to be grateful for.  One of which being friends who twist the truth. 

I understand that you may find it odd, but my claim is genuine none-the-less.  Why, you may ask, do I like it when friends aren't anything but truthful to me?  Well, let me try to explain.

As a woman, I can confirm that those of my gender like complements - even if they may be completely false.  For example, when a woman asks if the outfit she's wearing makes her look fat, (which in fact it does - a great deal), and she claims she want nothing but an honest answer, she's bucket loads of happy when she hears: "not at all! You look amazing."  It may have been a lie, but she's left feeling content in the answer, even if she has an inkling that it's not entirely true. Don't get me wrong, we don't always want a truth bending complement, but I have yet to find someone (myself included) who gets outraged when a complement is received instead of the ego shattering truth.

This is why Britt falls in the category of friends I am grateful for.  Because, although I got dangerously close to the curb on occasion, I drove us in circles a few times, I nearly knocked off the right side mirror as I hit a plastic garbage can, and almost killed us as habit took over by driving on the right, instead of left, side of the road, she would do nothing but offer kind complements by constantly telling me what a great job I was doing. Plus, she was courageous enough to be a passenger in the car I was driving in England. The car which was a manual drive. One where the stick shift is on the left instead of the right.

Granted, my left-sided driving really wasn't too bad, considering.  However, I just wasn't as good a driver as she said I was either.  But to Britt, and all other friends of mine who bend the truth to make me feel good, I solute you.

No comments: