Sunday, June 15, 2008

One of these things is not like the other

Take a good look at the picture. Now can you tell which one's Catholic? If you chose the hand in the middle give yourself a pat on the back.

The other day when I was talking to my co-workers who sit on either side of me, I noticed that both had their wedding rings on their right hands. I then abruptly changed the topic of our conversation to discuss my new discovery. Unlike in the US, unless you're Catholic, you wear your wedding band on your right hand. I mentioned that in Brazil they wear the wedding band on their right hand when they're engaged, and on the left when their married. Apparently that's because it's a predominantly Catholic country... so I realized at that moment. Catholic's do the same here as well.

I then turned around and saw a co-worker who had a wedding band on the left hand. So putting two and two together I stated he must be Catholic... but was told it was either that, or he's engaged. Thus, non-Catholic's wear their wedding band on the left hand while engaged and switch it to their right once married, I so learned. Although after asking we found out that he is in fact a Catholic.

I stated that it's all a bit confusing, to which one co-worker replied "Yes, it is. But just remember: those without a ring at all are the happiest."

No comments: