Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Blustery Day

Yesterday I came to understand why Holland is filled with windmills. There were wind gusts of 50-70 mph due to a storm off the Atlantic. It's a good thing I weigh as much as I do... otherwise I might have been blown away.

There's a windmill farm between Amsterdam and Zeewolde... it's beautiful.


They're extremely large structures, and you can apparently enter them and climb stairs all the way to the top, where a mechanism is located, to control the way the blades move. There is also a door that opens up on the top and you can see for miles around. Olof stated that he may be able to coordinate a chance for me to enter one... that would be picture worthy!

He also found the other day that they're trying to get approval to build a windmill that is over 500 feet high (over 3 times the size of these windmills). Why? That I have no clue, since Holland obviously has a lot of wind no matter how low to the ground you are. No one knows if it will be approved though, since a moving structure that high will mess with the military defense radar.

No comments: