Tuesday, April 1, 2008

That's it! I'm throwing in the towel!

No more... I'm done... finished! I'm giving up.... on being a vagabond. Yeah, it was fun while it lasted. I got to see more of Holland than I imagined I would in 3 and a half weeks. Plus I was fed SO well. But I decided it was time to plant some roots and settle down (mostly because I actually found an apartment, which helps).
Apartment hunting is not the easiest of feats here in Amsterdam. There's apparently a waiting list to rent/buy where the soonest you can get into a place is 20-30 years. (I'd be gone by then). Otherwise, you can take the quick and financially painful approach and rent a place for 2000 Euros a month. I personally didn't like either of the two options, so I settled on using good ol' networking. My manager had spoken to a guy from work who was looking for someone to rent his apartment for 3 months when he and his girlfriend went on vacation. Unfortunately they found someone else before I arrived. HOWEVER, he then told us about a friend of his (who also works at Verizon) who is moving in with his girlfriend and is looking to rent out his apartment, indefinitely. And I happened to be the lucky person he's renting the place to. It's on the west side of Amsterdam in a great location. I have an updated kitchen with all gadgets and utensils you'd need, a sleigh bed in the bedroom, a bathroom --with a bathtub even (you're rarely going to find that in Europe), a nice sized living room with 2 sofa's , a flat screen TV with digital cable, and internet connection. And for all of those who could be wondering, this place is legit. I signed the contract today. Honestly, I can't complain... nope, not one bit. Plus, I'll be able to paint the walls and make it feel like my own place. I'm quite content. Ahh.... I feel like an adult now and it only took 27 years.
I'll be living on the second floor, plus I get the room up on the very top where that one window is for storage.

6 comments:

ReL said...

Oh My Gosh YAY! I'm so excited for you!!! The place looks lovely and the kitchen is so nice :-) Finally a place of your very own! WOOHOOOO!

Unknown said...

I'm so proud of you. I'm glad you finally found a place and are settling in. This journal thing is fun to read, I'm learning about Amsterdam and also learning about your experiences. Talk to you soon

Amekia

Julia Deaver said...

Nice Apartment!

sarah h. said...

Sweet Place!!

Courtney said...

I love your new place - it looks fantastic!

Rochelle said...

Wow, what a sweet deal!!! Victory!